Thursday 12 February 2015

Thursday Thoughts: Why It's Ok To Be Different


As I mentioned in my previous post, I am a baby giraffe. Some vertically-enhanced people started life off as quite short then they had a epic growth spurt which made them tall, but not me. Oh no. I have always been this way. Growing up, I was always the tallest person in my class. It was bearable when I was in Primary school, but Secondary school was pretty much Hell. On. Earth. Suddenly, I was in a place where everyone (or so it seemed to my 11 year old self) fitted in and felt like (and occasionally treated like) a freak of nature. I got teased constantly, which of course hurt a lot, but I didn't retaliate because I was/am quiet and shy, which probably made me more weirder than ever. Choice insults were:
"OMG you're so tall!!!"
"HEY! Green Giant!"
                     *shakes fist at that stupid sweetcorn advert* 

And then we come to my absolute favourite (not)
"HEY!! B.U.G. HAHAHAHA IZ SO FUNNI!! Big Ugly Giant!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!"
Being thought of as "ugly" when I was 14, did wonders for my already fragile self-esteem. Over the next few years, I tried so hard to "fit in" but I always failed miserably. I'm not saying that I had no friends at all, but I never truly fitted in with the people that I hung out with. 

Luckily though, I did Guides on a Thursday night and there I met my fellow Special Snowflake (HAI to Shelle if you ever read this!!) who I've had many weird moments with. Oh, and it's through her I started going to Torchwood conventions *nerd alert* and I encountered other Special Snowflakes (they know who they are). Basically, what I'm trying to say is that suddenly I began to feel like I was with my own kind.

*Enter the work years*


I didn't go to Uni, so after college finished, I found a job. Which is where I've been since. I may complain about it pretty much every day, but without it, I wouldn't have met some of the best people I know. These are the people who see past my height and see me for the lovely and hilarious (apparently) person that I am. As my other Special Snowflake (HAI Keelin!) says "God made you this way." 


It hasn't been easy getting here though. At first, I was quite lonely because the people my age thought that going out to nightclubs and getting completely drunk *yawns*, whereas I would much rather stay at home because I find nightclubs too loud and crowded. 

Then suddenly, something changed. I don't know what did it, but I started to develop a "I don't give a SHIT about what others think of me" attitude. 


What I'm trying to say is that it WILL get better eventually and that changing who you are just to fit it probably won't make you happy. 

“So you're a little weird? Work it! A little different? OWN it! Better to be a nerd than one of the herd!”
       - Mandy Hale
On that note, I am going to finish waffling on and I'll leave you with a song that I abso-bloody-lutely love and actually, it probably helped me on the way to where I am today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment