Sunday 3 May 2015

A Life Without the Internet???

Currently, I'm on my holibobs (well, until tomorrow morning) on Guernsey and because I didn't bother getting a local sim card for 3 days, I have been without a 3G that doesn't cost an arm, a leg and your first-born to child to use, and it's made me realise how many times a day I go on Twitter or Tumblr.

Have I missed it? More than I should've. These days, humans have become so reliant on the interwebs. I am a huge fan of an author called Elinor M Brent-Dyer and she wrote girls school stories between the years of 1924 and 1960. The girls she wrote about didn't have internet! They painted! They embroidered things! They knitted! They learnt musical instruments! They had time to read actual books! They talked to each other! *gasps* I can't even begin to imagine what my special talent would've been.

If the internet had never been invented, what would I be doing now instead of blogging? I have vague memories of a life without it. I was definitely in secondary school when we had an internet connection installed at home, and even then, it was through the phone line and it was so  s  l  o  w. 

Can you even begin to imagine what life would be like without it though? 
  • We'd all still be using Nokia 3310's.
  • The 'selfie' or the 'selfie-stick' *cringe* wouldn't exist.
  • There would be no Facebook, so we wouldn't know what (some) people were up to every single minute of every single day.
  • People would go bed at respectable times of the night. Like 9pm. Or earlier....
  • There would be no "OMG I'm so much better than you because I have something you don't and I'm going to rub this thing in your face until you lay down on the floor and have an existential crisis!"
On the other hand, I suppose it has it's uses. 
  • You can keep in touch with friends. 
  • You can make new friends. 
  • News from another country is more-or-less reported instantly. 
  • There are more forms of entertainment.
What would we do if the World Wide Web got disconnected tomorrow? It doesn't bear thinking about really.

No comments:

Post a Comment